Mål og innhald
More than a billion individuals, mostly in low and middle income countries, live on less than $1.25 a day. The aim of this course is to broadly address the question: why are poor countries poor? In particular, we seek to identify both features of the organization of a poor economy as well as its external environment that could generate, perpetuate, and alleviate poverty at the macro-level. A mix of theoretical and empirical studies are utilised for this purpose. Among other topics, the following are highlighted:
- What are the relationships among growth, inequality, and poverty?
- What are the empirical patterns of growth?
- What are the deep determinants of economic development?
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Has an understanding of the long-run drivers of differences in income levels across countries
- Can outline the main patterns of development in the world in recent decades
- Is able to explain how to measure poverty and inequality as well as how these phenomena influence and are influenced by economic growth
- Can provide an overview of major structural characteristics of poor economies
- Knows the big picture in terms of financial flows to and from developing countries
- Understands important drivers behind international economic migration
- Has the ability to formulate precise and relevant problems within development economics
- Is able to investigate, analyze, and present topical issues within the field
- Master analytical methods in the form of relevant economic models
- Can acquire and develop further knowledge and skills within the field
A good knowledge of economics is recommended
Krav til studierett
Master¿s Programme in Economics, Professional Studies in Economics, or equivalent.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
One compulsory assignment. Graded approved or not approved.
The grade for the course is based on the written examination provided that the students have passed the assignment. Approved compulsory requirements do not have time limits.
4 hours written exam
Hjelpemiddel til eksamen
Matematisk formelsamling av K Sydsæter, A. Strøm og P. Berck og kalkulator. Berre følgjande enkle, ikkje-programmerbare kalkulatorar utan grafisk display vert tillate brukt ved skriftlege prøver:
Alle modellar av typane:
- Casio FX-82, Casio FX-82ES PLUS eller Casio FX-82EX
- Hewlett-Packard HP30
- Texas instruments TI-30
Institutt for økonomi kan gjennomføre stikkprøvar av hjelpemidla i eksamenslokalet.
Assessment in teaching semester. New exam the following semester only for students who have a valid document of absence.
All the courses at the Department of Economics are evaluated at the end of each semester.
Department of Economics
Klokkeslett for oppstart av skoleeksamen kan endre seg fra kl 09.00 til 15.00 eller vice versa inntil 14 dager før eksamen. Eksamenslokale publiseres 14 dager før eksamen. Kandidatene finner sin egen romplassering på Studentweb 3 dager før eksamen.
- 27.11.2019, 15:00
- 4 timer