Mål og innhald
This course aims to train and prepare students for undertaking fieldwork and analyse data in connection with their master thesis.
Through lectures, discussions and group exercises, the course provides theoretical and research experience-based knowledge of central research methods in human geography. Students are made to reflect upon relevant research designs and methods for their own master thesis project, and on their researcher role. The course focuses on qualitative field methods and visual field techniques, the interpretation of qualitative data, the interpretation of visual data (photos) and texts (interviews, public documents, newspaper articles etc.), and discourse analysis. Students are trained in conducting interviews and focus group discussions, in the interpretation and analysis of statistics and survey data, and in carrying out case studies. The students should also acquire insight into ethical dilemmas and ethical guidelines for conducting research.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can demonstrate an advanced understanding of central theoretical concepts and research methods commonly used in human geography, and are able to assess their relevance and use in qualitative and quantitative research approaches.
- can conduct case studies
- can analyse own and informants' positionalities
- can conduct participant observation in familiar and foreign cultural contexts
- can conduct fieldwork with special emphasis on interviews, observation, and visual methods can carry out discourse analysis
- can code and analyse own data
- can critically assess secondary data sources, including statistics
- can assess ethical problems in the research process
- can consciously engage in reflection upon social processes involved in data production and analysis.
- can applying relevant theories and concepts in discussions of research methodology.
- can independently plan a project's research design and apply appropriate research methods.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Basic knowledge about social science methods
GEO307 (5 ECTS)
Krav til studierett
Open for students at Master´s level who meet the prerequisites.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
2 lectures á 2 hours pr. week.
In total 10-12 lectures.
2-4 seminars with working groups.
6-8 weeks in total.
Participation in seminars with working groups.
Take home exam, 3 days
Assessment in teaching semester.Students who have a valid document of absence or fails the exam may take a new exam in the following semester.
Alle emne blir evaluert i tråd med UiBs kvalitetssystem for utdanning.
Department of Geography
- Oppgave utleveres
- 03.05.2022, 09:00
- 05.05.2022, 14:00
- Digital eksamen