Mål og innhald
The aim of this course is to provide a theoretical specialization in the changing roles of media and communication technologies. The course is about the relationship between media, society and culture in a historical perspective. The central issue that the course seeks to explore has two angles: On the one hand the course studies what role media and communication technology have had in the development of modern culture and society; on the other hand it aims to create an understanding of how social and cultural practices are always involved in the development of media technologies. This course is less about the content of media than it is about the meaning of media technologies themselves. Theoretical perspectives discussed during the course technological determinism, phenomenology and social constructivism.
Upon completion of this course, the student will have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has knowledge about the relationship between media, society and culture in a historical perspective
- has knowledge about central theories of technology, technological change and the media
- can discuss the relationship between media technology and society in a historical perspective
- can reflect upon the origin and development of modern media and how new technology creates new forms of communication and interaction.
- can analyze the relevance of media technology for the development of modern forms of culture and society.
- can employ central theoretical perspectives to explain and understand the development of media technologies and their societal role, and present such work in written form
Krav til studierett
The course is open for students at the University of Bergen
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures, ca. 16-20 hours, and seminars, ca. 16 hours.
Approved seminar essay and seminar attandance. Approved literature test.
There is not time limit for approved work requirements.
4-day home exam, approximately 4500 words.
Full overlap with INFOMEVI201 and MEVI224B
The course is evaluated every 3rd year
- Oppgave utleveres
- 05.03.2018, 09:00
- 09.03.2018, 12:00
- Digital eksamen