Mål og innhald
The aim of this course is to provide a theoretical specialization in the relationship between media and communication technologies and their social and cultural practices. This course is less about the content of media than it is about the forms and meanings of media technologies themselves. It aims to create an understanding of the mutual influence between social and cultural contexts and the development of media and communication technologies through a combination of theory and practice.
The organization of the course is twofold: 1) A lectures series engaging with theories and perspectives pertaining to the historical and contemporary development of media technologies in their social and cultural contexts. 2) Workshops connecting theoretical insights to contemporary media culture through practice-based assignments.
Upon completion of this course, the student will have achieved the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has knowledge about the relationship between media and communication technology, culture and society.
- has knowledge about central theories of media and communication studies pertaining to the relationship between technology, culture and society.
- can discuss the relationship between media technology and society in a historical perspective.
- can reflect upon central theories and perspectives on the development of modern media and how new technology creates new forms of communication and interaction.
- can analyze the relevance of media technology for the development of modern forms of culture and society.
- can employ central theoretical perspectives to explain and understand the development of media. technologies and their cultural and societal role, and present such work in written form.
Krav til forkunnskapar
INFOMEVI201 (15 sp)
MEVI224 (15 sp)
Krav til studierett
The course is open for students at the Bachelor programme in Media and Communication, University of Bergen
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures and workshops.
Approved pre-workshop assignments.
There is not time limit for approved work requirements.
Bachelor thesis, approximately 8000 words, with supervision.
Assessment in teaching semester and the following semester.
The reading list will be ready before 1 June for the autumn semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Programrådet har ansvar for fagleg innhald og oppbygging av studiet og for kvaliteten på studieprogrammet og alle emna der.
Course coordinator and administrative contact person can be found on Mitt UiB
Det samfunnsvitskaplege fakultet ved Institutt for informasjons- og medievitenskap har det administrative ansvaret for emnet.
- 17.11.2022, 14:00