Mål og innhald
Objectives and Content:
The objective of the course is to provide the student with a basic understanding of different relations between religion and politics in the modern world, and of some methods and theoretical perspectives used in the analysis of these relations.
RELV228 is an optional unit within the Bachelor Programme in the Study of Religions.
The student shall by the end of the course have gained the following learning outcome defined in knowledge, skills, and general competence:
- has basic knowledge of various types of relations between religion and politics in modern societies
- has acquaintance with some methods and methodological problems and a selection of theoretical perspectives used as scientific and scholarly tools in the analysis of religion and politics
- has the capability of putting the knowledge about religion and politics in relation to the history of religions in general
- has knowledge about new and earlier research and about important issues relevant for the study of religion and politics, pertaining to the social sciences as well as to the humanities
- has the capability of analysing a complex theme and of drawing conclusions of one¿s own
- has the capability of critically examining theories and methods
- has the capability of writing a coherent analytical text, thereby demonstrating a capacity for using the norms and techniques of academic writing
- has practice in handling large quantities of information and literature within a short time period, and of interpreting and presenting information
Krav til forkunnskapar
The student should have a sound knowledge of English since the course literature and the lectures are in English
If combined, the outcome of credits will be reduced with 15 ECTS credits.
Krav til studierett
The course is open to students enrolled in the University of Bergen
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
10 lectures, totally 20 hours
Form of assessment:
- School exam (written) of 6 hours
The test consists of an essay as well as 10 questions to be answered briefly. Both the essay and the questions have to fill a minimum requirement for the student to pass the exam. The minimum requirement for the questions is 5 points (each of the 10 questions can give 0, 0,5 or 1 point). The 10 questions count as 20% and the essay as 80% of the total score.
NB. Please note regarding spring semester 2020: In order to minimize spread of the corona virus, the 6-hours school examam (written) has been replaced by a written examination that takes place from home. Students get an addition of 2 hours (1/3 of the ordinary duration for the school exam) to complete their examination, which means that students have in total 8 hours to complete the examinatin.
Hjelpemiddel til eksamen
If the course is given in English, a dictionary (without any notes in it) between your own language and English is permitted (for example, a German-English-German or a French-English-French dictionary). You may bring your dictionary to the exam location. The teacher will check the dictionary at the exam location before you are allowed to use it.
A graded marking scale (A to F) is used. A is the top grade and F means Failed.
This grading scale is also used spring semester 2020.
There will also be assessment early spring semester (only for students with valid mandatory course requirements, if any), given that the course is instructed the semester before.
The reading list runs to about 1000-1500 pages.
The reading list is published by June 1st. for the autumn semester and by December 1st. for the spring semester.
The course unit will be evaluated regularly.
The Programme Committee for The Study of Religions
The Programme Committe for The Study of Religions, Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion (AHKR)
Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion (AHKR)
Skriftlig eksamen vil ikke foregå på campus våren 2020. Se emnet på MittUiB for mer informasjon.
Vurderingsordning: Skriftleg eksamen heime
- 18.03.2020, 09:00
- 6 timer
- Digital eksamen
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.