Autumn, but not regularly.
Mål og innhald
Objectives and Content:
The objective of the course is to provide the student with a basic understanding of some of the ways religious activities, narratives and symbols are presented in prose literature, and some of the methods and theoretical perspectives used in the analysis of religion in literature.
The concrete content of the course as well as the regions studied can vary from term to term the course is given. Information about content and regions will be available as the same time as the Reading List is published, i.e. on June 1st at the latest the years the course is given.
RELV338 is an optional unit within the Master¿s Programme in the Study of Religions.
The student shall by the end of the course have gained the following learning outcome defined in knowledge, skills, and general competence:
- has basic knowledge of some of the ways religious activities, narratives and symbols are presented in prose literatures in different parts of the world;
- has acquaintance with some methods and methodological problems and a selection of theoretical perspectives used in the analysis of religion in prose literatures;
- has the capability of putting the knowledge about religion in prose literatures in relation to the history of religions in general; and
- has knowledge about new and earlier research and about important issues relevant for the study of religion in prose literatures in different parts of the world.
- has the capability of analysing a complex theme and of drawing conclusions of one¿s own;
- has the capability of critically examining theories and methods; and
- has the capability of writing two reviews and a coherent analytical text, thereby demonstrating a capacity for using the norms and techniques of academic writing.
- has practice in handling large quantities of information and literature within a short time period, and of interpreting and presenting information.
Krav til forkunnskapar
The student should have a sound knowledge of English since the course literature and the lectures are in English
If combined, the outcome of credits will be reduced with 15 ECTS credits.
Krav til studierett
Admission to a Master¿s Programme at UiB is required for RELV338.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Lectures (approximately 10) and seminars (approximately 5)
In this course the following compulsory requirements have to be approved in order to sit for the examination:
- A minimum of 80% attendance in the seminars (minimum 4 of 5 seminars).
- The writing of book reviews of two novels. The novels to be reviewed have to be chosen from a list that will be distributed at the beginning of the course. Each review should have a length of ca. 800 words.
Compulsory attendance is evaluated with "approved/not approved."
Compulsory requirements of this course are valid for a duration of two semesters; the teaching semester when approved, and the following semester.
School exam (written) of 6 hours
Spring 2021: Take home exam (3 days) to prevent corona virus.
Hjelpemiddel til eksamen
At the examination, a dictionary (without any notes in it) between your own language and English is permitted. The teacher will check the dictionary at the exam location before you are allowed to use it.
A graded marking scale (A to F) is used. A is the top grade and F means Failed.
Autumn, but not regularly.
There will also be assessment early spring term (only for students with valid mandatory course requirements), given that the course is instructed the term before.
The reading list consists of ca. 500 pages of secondary literature and ca. 2 000 pages of novels and short stories.
The reading list is published by June 1st. for the autumn term.
The course unit will be evaluated regularly.
The Programme Committee for the Study of Religions
The Programme Committee for The Study of Religions, Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion (AHKR)
Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies, and Religion (AHKR)
- Oppgave utleveres
- 03.02.2021, 09:00
- 05.02.2021, 13:00
- Digital eksamen