Fall - irregular
Mål og innhald
The course offers a theoretical and empirical introduction to the US political system with topics emphasizing the constitution, separation of powers, federalism, cleavages, party system, political participation, and economic policy. Students will acquire basic knowledge on and understanding of the organization and operations of the political system of the United States.
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Define and explain important aspects of the constitution, federalism, political institutions, political behavior, interest groups, party systems, and public policies.
- Discuss the content of the Constitution.
- Demonstrate how the Constitution facilitates and constrains political behavior, how the constitution governs the interaction between the states and the federal government, and between the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary.
- Critically analyze and evaluate the complexity of the political world in United States, explain patterns of political behavior, and discuss political outcomes.
- Engage in a discussion of how policies are the result of individual goals, institutional rules and collective action.
- Reconstruct how decisions and actions in the past influence political actors and outcomes today.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Krav til studierett
The course is open for students at the University of Bergen who fulfill the general admission requirements.
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Hours per week: 2
Number of weeks: minimum 10
Written exam (6 hours)
Total credit reduction with SAMPOL112 and SAMPOL217
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new exam the following semester.
The course is evaluated regularly
Klokkeslett for oppstart av skoleeksamen kan endre seg fra kl 09.00 til 15.00 eller vice versa inntil 14 dager før eksamen. Eksamenslokale publiseres 14 dager før eksamen.
- 26.11.2018, 09:00
- 6 timer
- Digital eksamen