BIO300 Biological Data Analysis and Research Design is a Biology Bootcamp for a new generation of Scientists
BIO300 is a multi-dimensional “kick-off” course that is mandatory for all students enrolled in BIO’s Masters’ programmes.
The course is constantly evolving in dialogue with its community partners and its students.
BIO300 is unique
What is unique about BIO300 is that the research activity makes a concrete contribution to UiB outreach to Bergen Community.
Since 2005 the course leaders have been collaborating with Bergen Municipality’s Water and Water Treatment Department as part of their surveillance programme on drinking and bathing water in areas in and around Bergen. Every year the results of the student projects are used by the Municipality as part of their assessment programme.
The students consider questions such as,
- What is the status of the water system in question?
- What is the water quality of the system?
- If there is a treatment facility, how is it functioning? And,
- Has the water quality in a given system effects on the local animal and plant life (before and after treatment)?
- Where is the best place to restock fresh water mussels?
BIO300 is a Prize-winning course!
- BIO's Best teacher award (2011 & 2012)
- Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research's Education Quality Prize (2009) NOKUT
- UiB's Prize for Academic Quality (2009) Ugle / Best Course
Effective Science Communication is a learning outcome that is stressed in the course. The students' project results are presented at the end of the semester in a session that is open to the public. Learn more.
Want to join our team?
- want to be a teaching assistant?
- want to be a community partner?
- want to do research on the course model?
- want to take a Masters at BIO?
- want to give feedback?
- want to be an artistic partner?