Beyond Oil conference
Beyond Oil 2019: Deep and rapid transformations. October 16 - 17, 2019 Call for papers now open!
Society is inevitably moving beyond oil. However, current rates of change are well below what is necessary to limit global warming to two degrees or less. Low and zero-carbon pathways will require systematic changes in economies, polities and societies. This will affect areas of the world and portions of populations unevenly. Furthermore, existing inequalities hinder capacity for urgent change. Sustainable transformation must thus simultaneously address the geophysical and socioeconomic challenges of the early 21stcentury.
How can we accelerate transformation?
Confirmed speakers for 2019:
- Lorraine Whitmarsh, Cardiff University
- Michael Watts, University of California Berkeley
- Keri Facer, Uppsala University/ University of Bristol
- Eirik Wærness, Chief Economist Equinor
- Jessica Jewell, Chalmers University
- William Helland-Hansen, University of Bergen
We invite contributions on:
- Rapid and deep transformations: How do socioeconomic, political, cultural, and economic factors drive ongoing processes of change? What are the implications of equity and justice for transformations?
- Resistance and counterforces: How can we better understand opposition by those who will be adversely affected by transformation and what mechanisms can mitigate opposition?
- Academic engagement: What types of knowledge and education are needed to mitigate climate change? How can we find new ways of making our research relevant?
Beyond Oil is an interdisciplinary conference organized every two years by the Centre for Climate and Energy Transformation (CET) at the University of Bergen.
The conference will be organized in line with the CET Travel Policy.
Abstracts between 200-300 words can be sent to email@example.com by May 31 (for notification of acceptance by June 15) or August 15 (notification by Sept 1).
Conference venue: House of Literature (Litteraturhuset) Østre Skostredet 5, 5017 Bergen
How to get there:
If you arrive at Bergen Airport, Flesland, there are several ways of getting to the city centre:
- Bergen light rail runs from Bergen airport to ‘Byparken’, in the city centre. Ticket fare is NOK 37, and the trip takes 45 minutes.
- The airport bus (Flybussen) has frequent departures to the city centre. The bus ride will take you 25-45 minutes, depending on the traffic, and it costs NOK 105.
If you arrive at Bergen Railway station, you are already in the middle of Bergen city. The Railways station is in walking distance to most facilities in the city centre.