Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course aims to provide an overview of and insight into the workings of international and supranational organizations with the aid of political theory and organization theory. The main focus of study will be the European Union and central international organisations, for example, WTO, OECD, the UN and Attac, as well as Norway¿s relations with these institutions.
The student can:
- offer an account of how key international and supranational institutions affecting Norwegian policies and political processes are organized and function
- can explain different theories of creation, emergence, function and influence of international organizations
The student can:
- explain the context and origins of these institutions,
- discuss the development of these institutions on the international or supranational level in the light of political theory
- consider international organizations in the light of democratic and legal criteria
- can assess national institutions and political processes in the light of international institutional developments
- can gather new knowledge, critically assess and convey this knowledge
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Teaching and learning methods
10-15 lectures and 8-12 seminars / workshops.
Students can choose if they wish to follow Norwegian or English seminars / workshops.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Desk exam (4 hours)
Update: fall 2020 there will be 8 h home exem
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Department of Administration and Organization Theory