Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course aims to provide an overview of and insight into the workings of international and supranational organizations with the aid of political theory and organization theory. The focus will be on the EU and key international organizations such as the WTO, the IMF/ World Bank, and the UN, as well as Norway's relations with them.
The student can:
- offer an account of how key international and supranational institutions affecting Norwegian policies and political processes are organized and function
- can explain different theories of creation, emergence, function and influence of international organizations
The student can:
- explain the context and origins of these institutions,
- discuss the development of these institutions on the international or supranational level in the light of political theory
- consider international organizations in the light of democratic and legal criteria
- can assess national institutions and political processes in the light of international institutional developments
- can gather new knowledge, critically assess and convey this knowledge
Required Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Teaching and learning methods
12-14 lectures and 8-12 seminars / workshops.
Students can choose if they wish to follow Norwegian or English seminars / workshops.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Desk exam (4 hours)
Change of assessment for from four-hour school exam to eight-hour take home exam as part of the measures to limit the risk of corona infection.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Type of assessment: Take home exam
- 8 hours
- Assignment handed out
- 01.12.2021, 09:00
- Submission deadline
- 01.12.2021, 17:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam