Objectives and Content
The course provides the student with training in writing research proposals:
- formulating research questions,
- introducing relevant theory and reviewing literature,
- identifying sources of data and methods of data gathering, and
- discussing possibilities for generalization.
The purpose is to provide practical experience in the development of a research proposal. The course focuses on the relation between problem identification, developing theoretical perspectives, methodological approach and data discussion.
The student has advanced knowledge of:
- Relevant theories and perspectives in a field of research
- Basic principles for scientific design
The student can:
- Develop a research proposal which later forms the basis for working with the master thesis
- formulate and discuss a research problem, review literature, and make decisions regarding the choice of theories and methodology that are relevant to the research theme.
The student can:
- identify relevant data sources and specify data collection methods
- has developed skills to critically review data sources, scientific argumentation, and use of scientific references.
Access to the Course
The course is open for students who have been accepted to the Master`s program at the Department of Administration and Organization Theory
Teaching and learning methods
Seminars and workshop
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Submission of supervision contract through Mitt UiB at the established deadline.
Approved draft and mandatory attendance at workshop. Approved compulsory requirements are valid in the current and the following exam semester. The compulsory assignments and attendance must be completed to take the exam.
Forms of Assessment
Submission of paper, 5000 words (+/- 10 %)
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new exam the following semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.