Objectives and Content
Goals for the course is to provide an overview of the origin, systematics and evolution of living organisms on earth.
The student will be presented for general morphological traits in central phyla through lectures and lab courses. Classical dissection and microscopy techniques will be used to demonstrate the morphological structures and biosystematiske details of selected plants and animals. Microbial detection methods will be used to characterize and identify selected prokaryotes.
The course includes extensive laboratory courses.
After completing the course, students should:
- have a basic understanding of how organisms have evolved over time through Earth's history.
- be able to reconstruct how simple life forms have evolved into more complex and multicellular forms.
- possess an overview of the section of the main groups in the tree of life (domains, ranges and phyla).
- have basic knowledge about the morphology and characteristics of the key taxa.
- apply this knowledge to understand the individual biosystematic location, evolutionary path and kinship of the key taxa.
- have knowledge about basic identification tools used to identify and classify central organism groups.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam. Candidates must check their room allocation on Studentweb 3 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 26.09.2019, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.