This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 2 for the spring semester. Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the Mitt UiB learning platform.
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course is to develop knowledge and skills among the students within food microbiology and hygiene, with particular emphasis on conditions that are of relevance for seafood. This goal is sought to be achieved through a combination of theoretical learning, laboratory work including record keeping, excursions to plants for seafood, and student presentations. Furthermore, it is our goal to provide students with a basic understanding of how various micro-organisms and parasites, with significance for food safety and quality, contaminates and possibly grow in different product groups of seafood
Students will gain insight into what measures one can implement to achieve good standards of hygiene during harvesting, production and sale of seafood. Furthermore, we will discuss current legislation that both the industry and the government need to practice in this area.
Students will have an active role in teaching, which to a large extent based on student presentations of relevant subject matter.
An important component of the program is a laboratory course in a total of 20 hours. Through the laboratory course, the student will practise methods for microbiological food examination in order to evaluatie the hygienic standards of plants and seafood products.
There is also an overall goal to contribute to a good academic and social environment among students and give them training in oral and written communication and presentation.
- understanding of seafood as a food resource, and how microorganisms can affect the quality and safety of products of seafood.
- a basic understanding how various micro-organisms and parasites, with significance for food safety and quality, can contaminate and possibly grow in different product groups of seafood.
- give insight in the measures one can implement to achieve good standards of hygiene during harvesting, production and sale of seafood.
- knowledge of current seafood relevant legislation that the industry and government need to follow.
- insight in microbiological food analyzes that are central to the evaluation of the hygienic standards of the plant, and in the seafood products.
- incorporated good laboratory procedures, with particular emphasis on safety when working with human pathogenic microorganisms such as Salmonella, Vibrio and Listeria.
- knowledge of how the production of seafood takes place under commercial conditions through field trip to a plant.
- training in gathering information, structuring a presentation and present technical material.
- participate in a good academic and social environment.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
The course includes an obligatory laboratory course of 20 hours, conducted during one week.
Forms of Assessment
Digital written exam 4 hours
Examination Support Material
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam. Candidates must check their room allocation on Studentweb 3 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 19.05.2020, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam