The registration deadline for enrollment in the course is Thursday in week 33 for the autumn semester. You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the Mitt UiB learning platform.
Objectives and Content
The course provides a thorough introduction to the major groups of prokaryotic microorganisms (bacteria and Archea) and viruses, their taxonomy, physiology and genetics / molecular biology. Energy metabolism, regulation, gene transfer and microbial diversity / evolution are central themes. The microorganism's role in biogeochemical cycles, biotechnology and medicine is also discussed.
After the course is completed, it is expected that students will:
- Have a good overview of important groups of bacteria and Archaea, recognizing their special biological characteristics and habitats.
- Have good knowledge of microdiversity of energy metabolism.
- Have knowledge of gene transfer mechanisms, regulations, and main features of modern microbial genomics.
- Have a good understanding of viral diversity and viral life cycle.
- Be aware of the connection between microphysiology and their ecological roles, and their uses and importance in human medicine.
Required Previous Knowledge
Basic courses of Bachelor in Biology.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Oral presentation of a given topic related to the course. The topic will be decided in consultation with the Course Coordinator.
Compulsory activities must be approved in order for you to take the exam. Approved compulsory activities are valid for 6 semesters, including the semester of completion.
Forms of Assessment
- Written digital exam (4 hours), accounts for 100% of total grade.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade, grade F is a fail.
Assessment SemesterWritten digital exam in both spring and autumn semesters. In semesters with no classes, the exam will be arranged at the beginning of the semester.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the department. You can find student evaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 16.03.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.