This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 2 for the spring semester. Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the Mitt UiB learning platform.
It is mandatory to attend the first lecture.
Objectives and Content
The course goes through possible toxicity of food additives, extraneous food components and natural food toxins.
After the course is completed, it is expected that students will:
- know fundamental concepts within toxicology and know well the toxicokinetics (turnover of contaminants) and toksikodynamics (the effect of contaminants).
- have knowledge of the main contaminants in food, recognizing the toxicity of various additives and contaminants. The sources of both food additives and contaminants must also be known.
- have a good understanding of the substances that affect food safety.
- know the risk of food safety and know which organizations are involved in risk assessment and risk management nationally and internationally.
Required Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Oral exam and compulsory assignment.
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of SARS-CoV-2, UiB is closed for teaching and assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2020:
- Grading scale ¿Pass/Fail¿ instead of ¿A-F¿
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of assessment: Semester thesis and one oral exam
- Withdrawal deadline