This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 2 for the spring semester. Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the Mitt UiB learning platform.
Objectives and Content
The course goes through possible toxicity of food additives, extraneous food components and natural food toxins.
After the course is completed it is expected that the student knows the following:
- Definitions related to toxicology
- Regarding the most important contaminants in food, toxicology of various food additives and contaminants and their sources.
- Explain what food safety involves and which contaminants are of relevance.
- Explain risk analysis, assessment and management related to food safety and which organisations are involved in these processes nationally and internationally.
- Master the terminology regarding food safety: concepts of toxicology, toxicokinetics of contaminants (adsorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion) and toxicodynamics (effects of contaminants at different levels of biological organisation).
- intepret scientific documents such as papers on toxicology
- utilise knowledge regarding food additives and contaminants in other areas of nutritional studies
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Ca 15 doble førelesingar.
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline