Spring. Limited capacity. More info: http://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course is to give the students a good overview over the evolutionary development of algae, and an introduction to systematics, phylogeny, biogeography and biology of algae. Species, both microalgae and macroalgae, will be used as examples during the presentation of different algal groups. The course shall also give an introduciton to the physiological adaptation of different algal groups to the environment in which they live. The course will include lectures, one seminar, field activity and laboratory activity. A laboratory experiment on photosynthesis and growth in unicellular algae will be carried out.
1. Give an overview of the developmental history of the most important algal groups and explain important theories and hypotheses in relation to this
2. Give an overview of systematic groups within important algal groups, with examples, and the most important characters which unite and separate these
3. Have acquired basic knowledge about biogeographical regions and be able to give a biogeographical overview on distribution of important algal groups
4. Give an overview of the theoretical background in algal physiology and how environmental factors influence the functions, growth and survivial of algae
5. Describe how algal groups are adapted to the environment in which they live
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Bachelors's degree in biology or the equivalent
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Lab course and approved report.
Forms of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 12.06.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 4. etg.