Level of Study
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
This course introduces you to the methodology of experimental research in economics. You will read some of the seminal experimental economic papers and you will also be exposed to some of currently areas of research of experimental economics. The aim the course is to provide you with a solid understanding of the experimental methodology. A central part of course is to perform and report an experiment; alone or together with some of your peers.
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Can give an overview of economic as an experimental discipline including its history and types of experiments.
- Can explain and discuss the principles of economic experiments required to design and undertake an independent experiment. Key principles are controlled variables, randomization, deductive and inductive reasoning.
- Can analyze and report the results from an experiment.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Bachelor in Economics or equivalent
Access to the Course
Master`s Programme in Economics, Professional Studies in Economics, or equivalent.
Teaching and learning methods
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Compulsory participation experiments
- Individual oral presentation of the report
The requirements are valid only for the current semester.
Forms of Assessment
Portfolio assessment with the following content and weight:
- Individual or group based experiment report (50 points)
- Individual essay (50 points)
The overall evaluation of the course is a mark based on total points you have earned.
Assessment in teaching semester.
The reading list will be ready before 1 June for the autumn semester and 1 December for the spring semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
The Programme Committee is responsible for the content, structure and quality of the study programme and courses.
Course coordinator and administrative contact person can be found on Mitt UiB.
The Department of Economics at the Faculty of Social Sciences has the administrative responsibility for the course and the study programme.
Department of Economics
Type of assessment: Portfolio assessment
- Withdrawal deadline
Exam part: Experiment report
- Submission deadline
- 07.04.2021, 12:00
Exam part: Essay
- Submission deadline
- 20.05.2021, 12:00