- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeFARM238
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageNorwegian (English if english-speaking studentds attend to course).
Objectives and Content
The course provides a brief introduction to plant systematics. Significant poisonous and medicinal plants, together with natural medicines, will be discussed. Important classes of compounds (secondary metabolites) in and from nature will be emphasised, and stress will be put on classification, nomenclature, structure, biosynthesis, occurrence, analysis and pharmaceutical perspectives. Practical exercises demonstrate different techniques within natural product chemistry.
After completing the course FARM238 the student will be able to:
- provide an overview of the field of natural product chemistry.
- identify different types of natural products, their occurrence, structure, biosynthesis and properties.
- discuss the use of natural products as starting materials for medicines.
- carry out independent investigations of plant materials and natural products.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
KJEM238: 10 stp, KJEM332: 10 stp, K332: 9stp
Access to the Course
The course will be open to students on the Master's Programme in Pharmacy. The students also need to fulfill the prerequisites for the course.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Laboratory course. Compulsory activity is valid for five semesters. The students must participate and pass a course on Health, Environment and Safety before they can start at the laboratory course.
Forms of Assessment
The following changes is made to assessment autumn semester 2021:
- Written home examination instead of written examination on campus
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Reading ListThe reading list will be available within June 1st for the autumn semester and December 1st for the spring semester
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written test
- 01.03.2023, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 3. etg.