- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeFARM290
- Number of semesters1
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course will give knowledge in general pharmacology prior to continuing studies in special pharmacology
- Pharmacodynamic: Studies on drugs and their effect. General knowledge on the drug's molecular mechanisms of action, including structure and function of the target proteins affected by drugs.
- Pharmacokinetic: The study of how drugs are influenced by physiological processes in the body.
- Mechanism and use of specific drugs, such as cholinergic and adrenergic pharmacology, analgesics, steroid hormones and cancer chemotherapy.
After participating on this course, the students will
- Be able to describe how drugs interact with receptors and other target proteins in the body
- Be able to describe key aspects connected to absorption, distribution of drugs, equilibrium concentration of drugs in blood, and elimination.
- Be able to describe indications, mechanisms of actions, and physiological effects of some different drug classes.
Access to the Course
Students must have admission to Integrated Master programme in Pharmacy
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Lectures, colloquium and group work. 40 hours of lectures, 12 hours of group work (case studies) and 8 hours colloquium.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Mandatory attandance on 2 of 3 casus presentations
- Approved casus rapport. This is a requirement for taking the final exam
Forms of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Grading scale A-F
The students evaluate the teaching according to the Quality Assurance System at the University of Bergen
Department of Clinical Science
Administrative questions: email@example.com
Course responsible: Lars Herfindal: Lars.Herfindal@uib.no
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written test (New exam)
- 17.03.2023, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 2. etg.