Objectives and Content
To improve the skills in presenting scientific data during oral presentations or when writing up a paper.
Ten two hourly seminars over the spring semester where the participants with the use of scientific data from the participants will build up the relevant sections of a scientific paper including Abstract, Introduction, Methods, Results and Discussion. They will learn to make a scientific poster. The participants have to prepare two presentations for different audience categories. The participants present orally and in front of camera. They receive feedback collectively and in person.
Upon completing this course the candidate should have:
Improved skills in presenting scientific data.
Upon completion of the course, the candidate should: Obtain a rational and efficient approach to build up and put together the basic elements of a scientific paper, a poster and an oral presentation.
Upon completion of the course, the candidate should: More rationally present scientific results, both as a scientific paper and as an oral presentation.
After completing the course, the students should be able to:
- independently draft a paper
- present scientific findings at an international meeting.
Required Previous Knowledge
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Seminar where the participants under the supervision of the course leader use scientific data obtained by individual participants to build up the various elements of a scientific paper or an oral publication.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
80% attendance rate.
Forms of Assessment
Continous assessent by the course instructor of the participants´abilities to build up the individual parts of a scientific paper and how they provide constructive feedback during this process. Assessment by the course instructor of the oral presentation and the participants´abilities to provide relevant responses to the presentation.
- Forskningshåndboken. Fra idè til publikasjon. Arnesen H, et al. 5 utg. 2012. http://www.oslo-universitetssykehus.no/forskningshandboken
- How to write and publish a scientific paper. Day RA & Gastel B. 6th ed 2011.
- The role and interpretation of pilot studies in clinical research. Journal of Psychiatric Research 2011;45:626-629.
- Principles and ethics in scientific communication in biomedicine. Donev D.Acta Inform Med. 2013 Dec;21(4):228-33.
- Writing a scientific paper: where to start from? Normando D. Dental Press J Orthod. 2014 Jan-Feb;19(1):1.
- The Process of Writing an Abstract. Mott S. J Pediatr Nurs. 2014 May 9. pii: S0882-5963(14)00135-3. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2014.04.008.
- Writing Abstracts and Developing Posters for National Meetings. Gordon J. Wood, R. Sean Morrison. J Palliat Med. Mar 2011; 14(3): 353¿359.
Oral evaluation in plenum.
Department of Philosophy
Anne Berit Guttormsen
Astrid Olsnes Kittang
Astrid Olsnes Kittang
Marianne Heldal Stien
Anne Berit Guttormsen, tel. 95890534
Astrid Olsnes Kittang, tel. 92330302
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- Withdrawal deadline