In the first semester, the students work with research design assignments in the course Research methods and ethics. This work provides a proper basis for developing relevant research questions and research designs for a master thesis, and provides experience in active use of knowledge in research methods and methodology.
For part time students, the project plan for the thesis is to be approved in the fourth semester. The thesis is completed in the fifth through eighth semester, and corresponds to 60 ECTS credits.
Objectives and Content
The aim of the master thesis is to promote the ability of critical, analytical thinking in the student`s own field, and to produce knowledge in general. Through this work, the student will gain thorough experience in using scientific approaches when sampling and analyzing research material, and using relevant theory. It is also an aim to promote the ability of independent and critical thinking when interpreting results, and ethically well based choices.
Through the master`s thesis, the students will show scientifically based and methodological reasoning when doing relevant studies in own research field, to actively use scientifically based literature, and show a solid critical analytical level of reflection.
It is expected that the student through this work will show
- thorough knowledge and insight in the chosen area of study
- independent use of scientifically based literature, including the choice of relevant perspective of theory, and with adequate use of sources
- a solid level of reflection regarding relevant methodological and theoretical terms
- adequate use of scientific theory, methods and analytical approaches
- critical analytical thinking in interpreting information/results derived from the study
- ability to present a written thesis with the structure and logical composition that characterize an academic text
- a solid level of reflection regarding relevant ethical conditions and choices in research
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The thesis is to be written individually in the last two years of study (part time), and corresponds to 60 ECTS credits.
The student is entitled to in total 40 hours of supervision individually and in groups. Parts of this supervision may be ICT based. In addition, the student may attend courses in literature search, proper use of sources and source references, as well as research ethics related to use of sources etc.
Grading scale A-F, A being excellent and F being fail.
The thesis must be defended in an oral thesis examination. Internal and external examiner
Literature that found the basis of the students` learning activity, usable when working with the thesis, are suggested both in courses specific for the thesis subject and in the research methods course. The students also need to find literature relevant for the thesis, in consultation with supervisor.
The students respond to a written evaluation form, and describe their thesis work process, after the thesis is handed in, final exam is held and grade is set.
Type of assessment: Master's Thesis
- Withdrawal deadline
Exam part: Master's Thesis
Exam part: Adjusting oral examination