Field Course in Regional Geography
- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeGEO292
- Number of semesters1
Level of Study
Place of Instruction
Universitety of Bergen and a field area, either in Norway or abroad. The field area may vary from year to year.
Objectives and Content
Students will refine their theoretical and methodological knowledge, and through a field exercise will demonstrate how research questions, hypotheses, and scientific research are developed within a human geography context
The participants will get the opportunity to practise their theoretical and methodological knowledge within an empirical investigation of a regional geography problem. The topic of the investigation should be chosen after consultation with the course instructor. The field course runs each year, either within Norway, or abroad. After pre-approval, it is possible to submit a written assignment based on study literature.
On completion of the course, the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can make use of central themes and theories within human geography who he or he has acquired during the bachelor program.
- can complete a modest research project by creating a research question, developing a research framework and utilising theoretical and empirical methods/view points
- can utilise qualitative and quantitative analytical methods
- can work individually or in groups
- can successfully write academically and can correctly refer to literature
Required Previous Knowledge
GEO110, GEO111, GEO113, GEO124, GEO125 and GEO131, or equivalent knowledge with at least 60 ECTS in geography, including basic knowledge in human geography and cartography.
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
GEO251 (10 ECTS), GEO286 (10 ECTS)
Access to the Course
The course is open for geography students with at least 60 ECTS in geography, including basic knowledge in human geography and cartography. We have a limited number of places for exchange students with relevant background. If we have applications from qualified exchange students, the course will be taught in English. Exchange students may apply to Department of Geography via e-mail: Grethe.Meling@uib.no. Application deadline will normally be around 25th January each year (to be announced properly).
Teaching and learning methods
- 1 seminars á 2 hours pr. week. (total 5-7 seminars)
- Field course: 3-5 days (dependent on travel distance)
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Participation field course.
- Participation in all seminars preparing for the field course.
- The students chose additional literature relevant for the thesis (150-200 pages).
Compulsory requirements are only valid the semester they have been approved.
Forms of Assessment
Field report in groups (2-3 students) and individual oral exam. The oral exam may adjust the grade.
Assessment in teaching semester
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Type of assessment: Field report and oral exam
- Withdrawal deadline
Exam part: Field report
- Submission deadline
- 22.05.2023, 14:00
- Examination system
- Digital exam
Exam part: Oral exam
- Exam period