Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The purpose is to give the student a thorough introduction to contemporary research issues and debates on trends in the global food production and distribution of food.
The course contains a variety of research perspectives on food, including key global food policy issues, food security and health, changes in production and consumption trends, economic geography, innovation and technology, and the participation of actors in local markets and international trade.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has knowledge of advanced contemporary geographical approaches to and debates relating to global food production, trade and food security.
- understands how the trends in global food production are shaped by environmental, social, economic and political factors.
- understands how changes in the global food systems have an impact on human nutrition, and how food consumption affects the global environment.
- can read, understand, present and discuss advanced scientific texts on food theory subjects.
- can apply geographical theoretical approaches to complex nature-society relationships.
Required Previous Knowledge
A bachelor degree
Access to the Course
Open for students at Master´s level who meets the prerequisites. GEO326 is a "Special topic course". The coursework requirement in Master's programme in Geography includes two special topics courses.
Teaching and learning methods
1 lecture/seminar/reading course á 2 hours pr. week.
Total: 16-20 hours
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Students are expected to read and present selected scientific readings.
Forms of Assessment
Take home exam, 5 days, 3000-3500 words
GEO325 - 4 ects
Assessment in teaching semester
GEO324 will be evaluated minimum every third time it´s taught.
Department of Geography
Type of assessment: Take home exam
- Assignment handed out
- 05.11.2018, 10:15
- Submission deadline
- 12.11.2018, 14:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam