Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course aims to give the student insight into software engineering methods and processes.
The course is practically oriented, and gives an introduction to development of software systems. Central to the course is a project where students work in teams to solve a large software task. The course gives an overview of different software life cycle models, maintenance of software systems, and laws and regulations governing software system development. Object-oriented methods are emphasised.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can describe standard software development processes,
- can explain important software design principles,
- knows of the most central laws and regulations for systems development (intellectual property rights, labour agreements, etc),
- knows theory for organising team work,
- can explain a common notation for analysis and design, and
- has knowledge of the history, traditions and place in society of the topic.
- can use established techniques for capturing and analysing user requirements,
- can apply professional knowledge to practical problems and make well-founded choices,
- can reflect upon his/her own professional practice and adjust it under supervision,
- can find, evaluate and refer to relevant information and present this in a manner that sheds light on a problem, and
- use an integrated development environment (IDE) and version control system.
- has insight into relevant professional ethical issues,
- can plan and carry out software projects in a team,
- can plan and carry out software projects in accordance with ethical requirements and principles,
- can present important professional insights both in writing and orally, as well as using other relevant forms of communication,
- can exchange opinions and experience with other software engineers, and thus improve practice.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
INFO212: 10 ECTS
Access to the Course
Access to the course requires admission to a programme of study at The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
The compulsory exercises have to be passed and are then valid for two semesters, including the semester in which they are approved.
Forms of Assessment
Written exam (3 hours).
Results from project work and presentations may be taken into account.
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of SARS-CoV-2, UiB is closed for teaching and assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2020:
- Written home examination instead of written examination
Examination Support Material
Legal exam aids will be announced at the start of every semester.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Examination both spring semester and autumn semester. In semesters without teaching the examination will be arranged at the beginning of the semester.
The reading list will be available within June 1st for the autumn semester and December 1st for the spring semester
The course will be evaluated by the students in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the department
The Programme Committee is responsible for the content, structure and quality of the study programme and courses.
Course coordinator and administrative contact person can be found on Mitt UiB, or contact Student adviser
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences represented by the Department of Informatics is the course administrator for the course and study programme.
T: 55 58 42 00
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 22.09.2020, 09:00
- 3.5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam