Objectives and Content
The aim of the course is to give students advanced knowledge about programming, including data structures and algorithms, object orientation, threads, recursion, and elementary computational complexity.
An introduction to different standards for structured data for use with external data sources will also be given.
- Selected topics on data structures and algorithms, including computational complexity.
- Programming techniques such as object orientation and thread programming.
- Standards for structured data, such as Json, rdf, xml and handling of such data.
A student who have completed the course should have the following learning outcomes:
The student has
- deep knowledge about selected algorithms and data structures
- basic knowledge about object orientation and thread programming
- basic knowledge about computational complexity analysis of algorithms
- knowledge about standards for structured data
The student can
- do basic analysis of the computational complexity of algorithms
- choose suitable data structures and algorithms for different uses
- implement data structures and algorithms in the Python programming language
- handle different forms of structured data using Python
Required Previous Knowledge
INFO132 or equivalent
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Access to the Course
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and group seminars (typically 2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of seminars each week in appr. 7-10 weeks).
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Compulsory assignments that must be completed and approved.
- Compulsory participation: Attendance at labs (at least 75%).
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for the two following semesters.
Update: In the spring semester 2021, the requirement to attend 75% of the seminars will not apply due to the corona situation. However, it is highly recommended that students attend as much as possible
Forms of Assessment
4 hours written exam
Updated spring 2021: The written exam will be given as an inspera digital exam at home (3 hours) as part of the measures to limit the risk of corona infection.
Assessment in teaching semester and the following semester (ordinary exam for students with approved compusory assignments and attendance).
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Type of assessment: Take home exam
- Assignment handed out
- 04.06.2021, 09:00
- Submission deadline
- 04.06.2021, 12:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam