- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeINFO135
- Number of semesters1
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course is to give students advanced knowledge about programming, including data structures and algorithms, object orientation, threads, recursion, and elementary computational complexity.
An introduction to different standards for structured data for use with external data sources will also be given.
- Selected topics on data structures and algorithms, including computational complexity.
- Programming techniques such as object orientation and thread programming.
- Standards for structured data, such as Json, rdf, xml and handling of such data.
A student who have completed the course should have the following learning outcomes:
The student has
- deep knowledge about selected algorithms and data structures
- basic knowledge about object orientation and thread programming
- basic knowledge about computational complexity analysis of algorithms
- knowledge about standards for structured data
The student can
- do basic analysis of the computational complexity of algorithms
- choose suitable data structures and algorithms for different uses
- implement data structures and algorithms in the Python programming language
- handle different forms of structured data using Python
Required Previous Knowledge
INFO132 or equivalent
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Access to the Course
The course is open to students with admission to study at UiB. The course has 225 study places. Students who have this course as a compulsory part of their study plan will have priority access.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and group seminars (typically 2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of seminars each week in appr. 7-10 weeks).
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Compulsory assignments that must be completed and approved.
- Compulsory participation: Attendance at labs (at least 75%).
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for the two following semesters.
Forms of Assessment
4 hours written exam
Assessment in teaching semester and the following semester (ordinary exam for students with approved compusory assignments and attendance).
The reading list will be ready before 1 June for the autumn semester and 1 December for the spring semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
The Programme Committee is responsible for the content, structure and quality of the study programme and courses.
The Department of Information Science and Media Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences has the administrative responsibility for the course and the study programme.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 06.06.2023, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 2. etg., SOL 4. etg.