- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeINFO215
- Number of semesters1
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course offers (1) an introduction to the basic concepts of the social web, (2) the basic principles of networks and how to measure them and (3) will teach students about cutting edge methods and technology for obtaining and analyzing web data.
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes:
- will have extensive knowledge and understanding about the Web and networks in general
- will be able to crawl and analyze Web data from a content and network perspective
- will have a good understanding of web science as a research discipline
- will learn about how to use tools such as Python and NetworkX to analyze and visualize Web data
- is able to employ web science methods for obtaining and analyzing Web data
Required Previous Knowledge
INFO135 or equivalent
Recommended Previous Knowledge
INFO180 or equivalent
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Access to the Course
The course is open to students with admission to study at the UiB. The course has 200 study places. Students who have this course as a compulsory part of their study plan will have priority access.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, computer labs, assignments, programming exercises, normally 2 hours lectures and 4-2 hours computer labs for 14 weeks.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Compulsory assignments that are delivered throughout the semester
- Compulsory participation: attendance in labs (at least 75 %)
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for the two following semesters.
Forms of Assessment
4 hours written exam.
Examination Support Material
All written and printed aids are allowed.
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new written exam the following semester.
The reading list will be ready before 1 June for the autumn semester and 1 December for the spring semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Course coordinator and administrative contact person can be found on Mitt UiB.
The Department of Information Science and Media Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences has the administrative responsibility for the course
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written exam
- 02.06.2023, 15:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam