Objectives and Content
The course offers (1) an introduction to the basic concepts of the social web, (2) the basic principles of networks and how to measure them and (3) will teach students about cutting edge methods and technology for obtaining and analyzing web data.
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes:
- will have extensive knowledge and understanding about the Web and networks in general
- will be able to crawl and analyze Web data from a content and network perspective
- will have a good understanding of web science as a research discipline
- will learn about how to use tools such as Python and NetworkX to analyze and visualize Web data
- is able to employ web science methods for obtaining and analyzing Web data
Access to the Course
The course is open for all students at the University in Bergen
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, computer labs, assignments, programming exercises, normally 2 hours lectures and 4-2 hours computer labs for 14 weeks.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- Compulsory assignments that are delivered throughout the semester
- Compulsory participation: attendance in labs (at least 75 %)
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for the two following semesters.
Forms of Assessment
4 hour written examination
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new written exam the following semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.