Level of Study
Objectives and Content
Students will learn advanced semantic modelling and programming techniques and other best practices for managing information with semantic technologies. Students will acquire skills to build platforms and applications that use semantic technologies for information management and use for big open data. They will gain practical experience in developing semantic model-based applications using technologies such as RDF and OWL.
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The candidate has theoretical knowledge of basic concepts related to:
- semantic modelling for interoperable information systems, for example using RDFS and OWL.
- other standards for semantic information systems.
- information quality.
- can develop advanced information models, for example ontologies.
- can implement semantic applications.
- can use existing application frameworks for semantic applications.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Teaching and learning methods
14-16 two-hour lectures, 14-16 two-hour seminars
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Mandatory participation: Attendance at mandatory labs (at least 80%).
Forms of Assessment
- 3 hours written exam (60%)
- 1 assignment, group (40%)
Letter grade (A-F).
Assessment in teaching semester. Only students who have a valid document of absence will be entitled to take a new written exam the following semester.
All courses are evaluated according to UiB's system for quality assurance of education.
Department of Information Science and Media Studies