Autumn. Taught every second year (next time Autumn 2019).
Objectives and Content
The course reviews the chemical and physical properties of petroleum and alternative motor fuels, including different types of quality parameters. Furthermore, modern procedures for fractionating and analysing oil and gas are presented, together with a chemical description of central refining processes. The product slate from petroleum refining is discussed. Additional subjects such as oil pollution, alternative motor fuels and the fluid properties of petroleum mixtures are included. A literature based project on selected aspects of energy resources or petroleum characterisation is part of the course.
After completing the course KJEM203 the students will be able to:
- give an overview of the chemical composition and physical properties of petroleum, petroleum products and renewable motor fuels
- specify quality criteria for petroleum products and renewable motor fuels
- present the chemistry of the most important refinery processes
- give an overview of the resource base for petroleum and renewable alternatives
- find information and perform individual evaluations of questions pertaining to production and use of petroleum from different sources and renewable motor fuels
Required Previous Knowledge
Basic principles of general chemistry.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Project, included oral presentation. Compulsory work are valid for five following semesteres.
Forms of Assessment
Written exam (4h). In case 4 or less candidates are registered, the examination may be oral.
Examination Support Material
Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 26.02.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.