Autumn (limited capasity). Master students have priority.
Objectives and Content
The course addresses the analysis of organic compounds using modern chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques, and includes both chromatographic separation of mixtures and spectroscopic structure elucidation of organic compounds. The spectroscopic methods covered comprise infrared (IR), ultraviolet (UV) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, together with mass spectrometry (MS). The chromatography part includes separation based on adsorption, phase distribution, ion exchange and size exclusion. In addition, the subject covers sample preparation, quantitative analysis and hyphenated methods combining chromatographic separation with spectroscopic detection. Examples are given from industrial applications - e.g. pharmaceutical and food analysis, and regulatory practices such as pollution and drug monitoring.
After completing the course KJEM230 the students will be able to:
- select strategies for separating different classes of organic compounds using modern chromatographic methods
- interpret spectroscopic data from IR, UV, NMR and MS, individually and in combination, to elucidate the structure of simple organic compounds
- perform simple chromatographic separations and spectroscopic analyses using available instrumentation
- solve structural problems using literature data from organic analytical analysis
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Mandatory attendance at the first lecure.
Laboratory course with journal. Compulsory work are valid for six following semesteres.
Compulsory work must be submitted within the given deadlines for the course. Approval of the compulsory work is necessary to get admittance to the written exam.
Forms of Assessment
Written examination (4h).
Examination Support Material
Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
K234: 10 stp. K234A: 10stp
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 09.03.2018, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.