Spring. The course only runs if enough students enrol. This is a course with limited capacity and Master Students will be given priority. More information: http://www.uib.no/matnat/utdanning/studiehverdag/undervisningsopptaket
Objectives and Content
In KJEM319 a selection of instruments central within the field of physical chemistry (and in particular with in the field of surface- and colloid chemistry and adjacent nano-chemistry) will be introduced. A brief theoretical treatment of the principles behind the different instruments will be provided. Practical laboratory exercises where the instruments are used provide the major content of the course. The use of internet-based tools to collect information will also be treated. A project, for which several of the instruments will be used to achieve the project goal, is also included in the course.
Aim: After completing the course the students should be able to independently plan and run experiments using the instruments covered in the course.
After completing the course KJEM319 the students will be able to:
- identify problems that can be enlightened by the use of the selected instruments
- plan and perform experiments using the selected instruments.
- present and interpret data from the selected instruments
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Lectures, laboratory exercises, project, library.
Compulsory HSE II-course for master students must be passed in order to be admitted to KJEM319. The HSE II-course is arranged in the beginning of the semester at Department of Chemistry.
Forms of Assessment
Approved all compulsory elements. Grade: Passed/failed.
1. All parts of the course are compulsory. The course is evaluated as passed when all compulsory elements are approved.
2. Students that previously have attended the compulsory lectures can do the laboratory course and the project during the 6 following semesters.
3. The student can start the project first when the laboratory course is approved.
4. In semesters with teaching can students with approved parts of the course from previously semesters get exemptions from these parts the 6 following semesters.
5. In semesters without teaching can students that previously have attended the compulsory lectures take the laboratory course and the project (agreement with the lecturer has to be done)
The grading scale used is passed/not passed.
K319: 3 stp
Type of assessment: Approved assignment
- Withdrawal deadline