Master Spatial design, 2. semester
- ECTS credits30
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeMAR 2
- Number of semesters1
30 ECTS credits
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
In the second semester of the master's programme, the students will continue to work on their own master's projects, based on the approved project description and completed preliminary project. The individual project work includes research and analyses, including through experimentation and testing.
Specialisation and competence development are managed by the students themselves in dialogue with fellow students and supervisors.
Development of creativity and ideas
Creativity and idea development are central during the period. Intensive courses, workshops and project periods are therefore offered with a focus on experimental exploration and innovation, as well as short subject-specific courses based on general main issues in the students¿ master¿s projects.
The joint project is a stand-alone project designed in consultation with external partners. The project is a group project, with a combination of group work and work on individual subtasks. Each student¿s role and tasks in the project are determined by the project owner in consultation with the student.
In the joint project, emphasis is placed on idea development and the design process. Students acquire realistic experience in developing and executing a joint project within a clearly delimited period of time, starting with defined frameworks.
Students learn to work quickly, systematically and in a targeted manner by adopting relevant methods and tools to manage the project.
Developing interdisciplinary thinking and collaboration is key. Interdisciplinary groups will develop comprehensive solutions with design practice breadth.
The project will be composite and have a complexity that provides challenges at different levels, also conceptually. Aesthetic, ethical and functional aspects are to be safeguarded.
The project ends with a presentation where emphasis is placed on clear and effective communication of ideas and concepts, with a particular focus on visual representation.
On completion of the semester, the student will be able to:
Knowledge and skills
- realise a complex design project together with others, and critically analyse and present ideas and concepts
- deepen own knowledge through exchanges, subject-specific courses and workshops
- apply design methods in own development work, with particular emphasis on further development of creative skills
- document visual idea development in a separate project
- reflect critically on own and others¿ design practices and put this into a broader social context
- manage self-initiated development work, make decisions, manage own time efficiently and further develop a plan for own development project
Required Previous Knowledge
Successfully completed first semester of the master's programme.
Access to the Course
The course is an offering to students admitted to the master's programme in design.
Teaching and learning methods
The nature of the master's project determines what research the individual student undertakes in this phase of the design process. The work may take the form of collection and processing of information, preparation of analyses and models,
training in design methodology and design processes with support in practice-relevant literature, etc. It may be necessary to acquire technical knowledge or new skills to complete the project.
The individual student may carry out parts of the necessary skills development at a different educational institution, or through periods of supervised practical training.
It is crucial for the learning environment that the students show commitment and participate actively in the course, and are present where teaching and work take place.
Forms of Assessment
Semester assessment (portfolio assessment) takes place towards the end of the semester. The assessment is conducted in the form of an oral conversation, where the student receives structured feedback on his/her own work and progress.
Basis for assessment
- Project presentation with emphasis on strategy
- written assignment
- Project presentation with emphasis on idea development
- Documentation of individual contributions in joint project
- Semester report with portfolio:
- Reflection on own learning and progress
- Oral report on own learning and work effort during the semester assessment
- Knowledge and skills
- Exploration and experimentation
- Implementation and realisation
- Communication and presentation
- Collaboration and independence
Institute of Design
Type of assessment: En visuell del og en skriftlig del
- Submission deadline
- 23.05.2023, 12:00
- Examination system
- Digital exam