Objectives and Content
The objective of the course is to give an introduction to the central ideas and results from real analysis
An introduction to real analysis with an emphasis on the Riemann integral, basic properties of curves and surfaces, convergence of sequences and series, and also vectors and functions of several variables.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- knows the basic properties of continuous functions, including the notion of uniform continuity.
- knows the theory of the Riemann integral for bounded functions.
- knows the basic concepts in the theory of sequences and series.
- knows the basic theory of plane curves.
- knows the theory of functions of several variables, including the notions of continuity and differentiability.
- knows the theory of extreme values for functions of several variables.
The student ..
- can determine if a bounded function is integrable.
- can use a variety of tests to check convergence of sequences and series.
- can compute the length of a curve and the area bounded by a closed course.
- can compute the partial derivates of functions of several variables and use this to solve various problems, including extreme value problems.
- has gained a basic understanding of central ideas and results from calculus that enables the student to apply these methods in an independent fashion in relevant situations
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
M101: 9 ECTS
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination: 5 hours
Examination support materials: Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2021:
- Grading scale ¿Pass/Fail¿ instead of ¿A-F¿
- Written home examination instead of written examination
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 28.09.2021, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam