Objectives and Content
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has understanding of matrix algebra rules
- can decide whether a linear system has one, none or infinitely many solutions
- understands concepts like linear dependence and independence of vectors
- has knowledge about vector spaces, and basis
- knows what a linear transformation is
- has knowledge about orthogonality and projections.
After course completion, the student is expected to be able to:
- solve linear systems
- find eigenvalues and eigenvectors
- compute the determinant of matrices
- formulate simple problems as least square problems and solve them
As a general competence, the student is expected to actively use the different formulations and techniques learned in the course in order to find the best method suited for the solution of a problem. The course develops logic sense and logic thinking.
The students get knowledge and skills of central techniques and ideas of linear algebra for use in other subjects and more advanced courses.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination: 5 hours
Examination support materials: Non-programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 23.09.2022, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 2. etg.