Objectives and Content
The course introduces the theory and solution methods for ordinary and partial differential equations.
Solution methods for scalar and linear systems of differential equations, and stability of nonj-linear systems. The course also includes solution of different partial differential equations by means of Fourier series.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge and skills, and general competence:
Knowledge and skills
The student has the ability to:
- Identify and solve first-order differential equations that are separable, linear or exact.
- Identify different processes that are described by one or more differential equations.
- Explain the theory of existence and uniqueness for second-order differential equations, and master solution methods in special cases.
- Use methods from linear algebra to solve linear systems and give a qualitative description of the solution curves in the phase plane.
- Find critical points for first-order non-linear systems and classify their stability properties.
- Work with simple predator-prey models.
- Use separation of variables and Fourier series to solve the wave equation and the heat equation.
- The student has a good command of the theory behind the above methods
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination: 5 hours
Available aids: None
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of SARS-CoV-2, UiB is closed for teaching and assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2020:
- Grading scale ¿Pass/Fail¿ instead of ¿A-F¿
- Written home examination instead of written examination
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
M117: 10 ECTS
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 24.09.2020, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.