- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeMAT211
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageNorwegian, English if English-speaking students attends to course.
Objectives and Content
The course includes axioms of real number systems, uniform convergence of sequences and series of functions, equicontinuity, compact and complete metric spaces, the inverse function theorem, the Stone-Weierstrass theorem and contraction maps.
After completed course, the students are expected to be able to
- Describe the basic differences between the rational and the real numbers.
- Understand and perform simple proofs
- Answer question concerning uniform convergence of concrete numerical sequences and series
- Give the definition of concepts related to metric spaces, such as continuity, compactness, completeness and connectedness
- Give the essence of the proof of Stone-Weierstrass' theorem, the contraction theorem as well as the existence of convergent subsequences using equicontinuity.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
MAT112 Calculus II
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
M221: 10 ECTS
Access to the Course
Students will be able to demonstrate basic knowledge of key topics in classical real analysis. The course provides the basis for further studies within functional analysis, topology and function theory.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- 20.02.2023, 09:45
- Withdrawal deadline