Objectives and Content
The course includes initial and boundary value problems for PDEs of first and second order, and includes, to a limited extent, systems of such equations. Emphasis is on the qualitative behaviour of solutions.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Has an understanding of the qualitative difference between elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic equations.
- Understands which combinations of boundary values and initial values lead to well posed problems
- is able to derive partial differential equations from the underlying physical principles
- can apply theorems which guarantee convergence of series of functions in various norms
- is able to understand and devise mathematical proofs
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Spring 2020 written exams will not be arranged on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 10.02.2020, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.