Partial Differential Equations
- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeMAT234
- Number of semesters1
Objectives and Content
The course includes initial and boundary value problems for PDEs of first and second order, and includes, to a limited extent, systems of such equations. Emphasis is on the qualitative behaviour of solutions.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Has an understanding of the qualitative difference between elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic equations.
- Understands which combinations of boundary values and initial values lead to well posed problems
- is able to derive partial differential equations from the underlying physical principles
- can apply theorems which guarantee convergence of series of functions in various norms
- is able to understand and devise mathematical proofs
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
MAT131 Differential Equations I and MAT212 Functions of Several Variables
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
M217: 9 ECTS
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 20.02.2023, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 2. etg.