Objectives and Content
Flow of ideal and real fluids, boundary layers, stability and waves, effect of stratification, rotation and compressibility, and some topics of geophysical hydrodynamics.
After completing the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Derive the Euler and Navier-Stokes equations from physical principles.
- Explain the qualitative difference between non-viscous and viscous flow.
- Discuss the effect of boundary conditions, and the formation of boundary layers.
- Explain dispersion and propagation for surface waves.
- Give and account for different exact solutions for Poiseuille flow and in potential theory.
- Distinguishing between different types of instabilities.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
MAT252 Continuum Mechanics
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Type of assessment: Oral examination
- 15.03.2021, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Additional information
- Digital eksamen, klokkeslett etter avtale med emneansvarlig