Objectives and Content
An introduction to an industrial numerical code for flow of oil, gas and water in a reservoir. Special emphasis on geometry, fluid property, wells and oil production in a numerical model.
After completed course, the students are expected to be able to:
- Explain the different parameters that influence three phase flow in a reservoir, and how these parameters are modeled in a reservoir simulator.
- Set up an ECLIPSE data file with correct syntax
- Analyze the results from ECLIPSE simulations by graphic post processing software.
- Explain mathematical / physical models for fluid description, equilibration initialization, wells, and faults, including their representation in ECLIPSE.
- Explain some numerical methods that are used by simulators, and procedures for solving large non-linear systems of equations.
- Explain convergence control in simulation, including automatic and manual time step control.
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
MAT257: 5 ECTS
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Oral examination and semester assignment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.