Science in today's world
- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeMNF201
- Number of semesters1
By doing the course reading, participating actively in discussions, and carrying out a team term project, the student should be able to:
- Discuss the benefits as well as the limitations of scientific inquiry and appreciate the complexities of defining science and of separating science from ideology.
- Explicate differences and similarities between applied and basic research, and between science and technology.
- Discuss and exemplify how science interacts with commercial interests, societal interests, and government in science-related controversies such as those over global climate change.
- Explain different perceptions of risk, uncertainty, measurements and estimates, and the problems raised by differences in such perceptions in debates on science-related social controversies.
- Critically assess "knowledge" derived from science, pseudoscience, and our own senses.
- Inquire into a topical issue with a scientific dimension, and discuss it in the context of central concepts and issues related to scientific practices and interactions between science and the wider society.
Pass / Fail
Type of assessment: Written report
- Submission deadline
- 30.03.2023, 15:00
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam