Spring. This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 2 for the spring semester.
Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The first lecture/orientation meeting is compulsory, which means you will lose your spot if you do not attend class that day. The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the "Mitt UiB" learning platform.
Objectives and Content
The course aim at providing knowledge about causes and mechanisms for cancer development and introduce the student to scientific articles as source for new knowledge.
The course covers topics and cancer genetics (somatic and inherited), factors affecting cancer development, how the cancer invade the souring environment and how the immune system and the surrounding tissue interplay, cancer treatment forms and the role of biomarks
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain the causes and mechanism for cancer development.
- can explain the hallmarks of cancer
- can explain the existing hypothesis for how the cancer gain access to nutrition and spread themselves.
- can give an overview on how the tumor-surroundings affect the cancer cells
- can describe the value and limitations of biomarkers
- can give an overview of molecular and cellular mechanisms of cancer therapy and mechanism for resistance
- can explain the structure of scientific original papers and can extract the main information
- Master central concepts and hypothesis in tumor biology
- Master the art for analyzing, interpret and critical evaluate simple articles and connect the results and problem to be addressed with the existing knowledge in the field.
- Be able to present the content of scientific papers both oral and written.
- Can explain and discuss molecular and cellular mechanisms in tumor biology
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Approved report. The course includes writing an obligatory paper during the semester which constitutes 1 ECTS of the work load.
The first lecture/orientation meeting is compulsory.
Forms of Assessment
Due to Corona situation the exam spring semester 2020 will be digital Written exam taken home. 4,5 hours.
Examination support materials: Non
Examination Support Material
Textbooks, teaching materials, own notaries and the internet are allowed during written school exams at home, together with simple calculator is equivalent to models specified in the faculty's rules. During school exams -home, it is not allowed to cooperate with fellow student (s) or others. Furthermore, it is important not to disturb fellow students during the exam.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Department og Biological Sciences, e-mail: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 22.09.2020, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam