Level of Study
Spring. This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 2 for the spring semester.
Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The first lecture/orientation meeting is compulsory, which means you will lose your spot if you do not attend class that day. The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the "Mitt UiB" learning platform.
Objectives and Content
The course will give students a theoretical and practical introduction into important methods in molecular biology. Students will be trained in working with molecular biological laboratory equipment and biological solutions relevant for molecular biology research. Laboratory safety aspects will also be a focus. The student will be presented for ongoing research at the department.
Along with the practical aspects of the course, there will also be put particular emphasis on the planning, presentation, and critical evaluation of the results in the form of a laboratory report or oral presentation.
The aims of the course are to:
- give an introduction to basic methods in molecular biology
- enable you to evaluate and present laboratory results
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain the principles of basic methods in experimental molecular biology
- can interpret experimental data
- knows the general safety regulations for laboratory work in molecular biology
- can apply basic methods in experimental biochemistry and molecular biology
- can use ordinary internet-based data bases for protein and nucleic acid analyses
- can plan experimental work based on a protocol
- can critically evaluate and discuss experimental results
- can follow general safety routines in the laboratory
- can write a formal lab-report
- can critically evaluate and correctly cite literature
- can plan experimental work
- is able to critically evaluate and discuss experimental results
Required Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
MOL202: 10 sp.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
All activities are mandatory including the introductory meeting, lectures, seminars and exercises. Completed activities are valid for 6 semesters.
The first lecture/orientation meeting is compulsory.
Forms of Assessment
Written exam 3 hours.
Examination Support Material
Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Department og Biological Sciences, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examinat
- 28.05.2021, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam