Autumn. The course will not run autumn 2021!
This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Wednesday in week 33 for the autumn semester.
Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
You will receive confirmation of whether you received a spot in Studentweb no later than Tuesday the week after the deadline.
The first lecture/orientation meeting is compulsory, which means you will lose your spot if you do not attend class that day. The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the "Mitt UiB" learning platform.
Objectives and Content
Objectives and Content
The contents of a given semester will to a considerable degree reflect current public debate, national and international laws and proposed legislation as well as current biotechnological research. Topics to be covered include: testing for genetic markers, gene therapy, cloning, stem cells, assisted (in vitro) fertilization, xeno-transplantation, use of animal for research, food production and genetically modified plants. Understanding and the use of ethical principles will be discussed. Emphasis will be placed on active participation by the students in the class, where they may contribute themselves to the contents of the course. The course is available for students from different faculties.
- can explain philosophical, ethical, juridical and biological aspects of current bioethical issues
- knows the basis for normative ethics
- has knowledge about national and international laws concerning biotechnology and bioethical issues
- has an overview of current trends in biotechnology
- has an overview of important ethical issues including gene therapy, inheritance, in vitro fertilization, stem cells and cloning, xenotransplantation, use of animals in research and food production, and genetic modification of plants
- can recognize ethical dilemmas in public discussions
- can communicate knowledge about bioethical problems and questions.
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
MNF220: 3 sp
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Lectures and practical task, and a term paper.
Forms of Assessment
Approved term paper.
Department og Biological Sciences, e-mail: email@example.com