Level of Study
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course unit is for the student to further develop his/her performance experience and competence. The course unit consists of two parts.
1. Preparation for a concert performance of at least 35 minutes. The performance repertoire may include both solo pieces and chamber music. If the student has the opportunity, he/she may perform with an orchestra or an ensemble of high professional quality. If this is the case, an agreement will have to be made with the student's principal instrument tutor and the course coordinator. Alternatively, both the MUV310 and MUV311 concerts may be combined into one concert of at least 70 minutes (2x35 minutes) in the spring semester (normally 2nd semester)
2. Participation in group instrumental lessons, ensemble activity (orchestral practice, sinfonietta, chamber orchestra etc.) and department projects. Details will be given at the start of each semester.
The student should be able to:
- Display independence in rehearsing a repertoire.
- Realize and convey his/her musical intentions with a high level of musicianship.
- Work interactively in a instrumental/ vocal ensemble, and perform at a high level
Required Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Master's Programme in Music Performance or Composition
Teaching and learning methods
Individual tuition is given by the student's principal instrument tutor (and accompanist if required) throughout the semester. Other instrumental/vocal tutors or other ensemble leaders/ conductors may give group tuition.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Due to the situation around Covid-19, The Grieg Academy - Department of Music has decided on temporary changes in compulsory activities for the spring semester 2021.
The attendance requirement is abandoned. However, it's still expected that the students are attending lectures, physically or digitally.
If the student isn't able to attend lectures, the compulsory activities can be replaced with homework.
Under normal circumstances, these are the compulsory activities:
- All tuition is compulsory. The student will normally loose the right to take the final course unit exam if he/she has an absence exceeding 20%.
- Individual performance/composition tutorial
- Group tuition (ensemble, group lectures etc.)
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for two semesters after the ordinarily scheduled exam semester.
Forms of Assessment
Due to the situation around Covid-19, The Grieg Academy - Department of Music has decided on temporary changes in forms of assessment for the spring semester 2021.
The concert is planned with the current restrictions on the amount of contributors and audience in mind. In the event of Covid-19 caused obstacles (i.e. absence of an examiner), recordings (audio and video) can be used as a basis for assessment.
Under normal circumstances, the forms of assessment are:
A concert of at least 35 minutes, that is to be held during the semester. The repertoire cannot include pieces already assessed. The concert is assessed by at least two internal examiners, of whom one is the student's principal instrument tutor.
The student must hand in an individual MUV310/MUV311 performance proposal form no later than 5 weeks before the concert. The student's principal instrument tutor must approve the performance place, date and repertoire. The student may under special circumstances have an audio recording of his/her performance assessed. This must be approved by the principal instrument tutor and programme coordinator in advance.
Pass or fail
Evaluation is carried out regularly as a dialogue between the principal instrument tutor and the student.
Programme CommitteeThe programme board is responsible for the academic content, development and quality of the programme.
Course AdministratorFaculty of Fine Art, Music and Design has the administrative responsibilities for the Programme.
Type of assessment: Concert
- Withdrawal deadline
- Additional information
- Konserter planlegges individuelt og meldes inn via skjema, mer informasjon på Mitt UiB