Specialized Subject I for Composers
- ECTS credits15
- Teaching semesterSpring, Autumn
- Course codeMUV315
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageBoth English and Norwegian are used as language of instruction. Individual tuition will be given in either language depending on the student. The language of instruction during seminars/group tuition might vary depending on the combination of languages in the student group.
Level of Study
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course unit is for the student to develop an independent artistic form of expression at a high level, as well as developing his/her ability to specialize through both theoretical and practical work.
The student will produce one larger or several smaller works to be performed by students at the Grieg Academy or by other musicians. The length and complexity of the work(s) must be agreed upon with the composition tutor. The student will also examine relevant issues, works and techniques in relation to his or her compositional work. The student is also required, when possible, to participate actively in the rehearsals.
The student will give an oral presentation addressing the work he/she has done for the module. The topic for the presentation may be the student¿s own works and the compositional process, relevant literature and studies, techniques used etc.
The student should be able to:
- Display a strong ability for artistic expression and a developing personal musical language through the work
- Display independence and clear goals when working with his or her compositions
- Realize and convey his/her own musical intentions at a high level
- Critically assess his/her own artistic choices and solutions in relation to relevant musical styles and traditions
Required Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
Master's Programme in Music Performance or Composition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Individual tuition is given by a composition tutor
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
All tuition is compulsory. The student will normally loose the right to take the final course unit exam if he/she has an absence exceeding 20%. Approved compulsory requirements are valid for two semesters after the ordinarily scheduled exam semester.
Forms of Assessment
Written essay of 30 000 characters +/- 10% (approx. 10 pages). Images, illustrations, bibliography and appendix are not included in the page count.
Oral presentation of approx. 30 minutes.
Assessment is carried out by at least two lecturers, of whom one normally is the student¿s individual composition tutor.
Pass or fail
Evaluation is carried out regularly as a dialogue between the assigned individual composition tutor and the student
Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design, The Grieg Academy - Departement of Music: firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of assessment: Semester paper
- Examination system
- Digital exam
Type of assessment: Lecture