Introduction to nanotechnology and -instrumentation
- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeNANO161
- Number of semesters1
Spring. Limited capasity.
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
This course includes the physical and chemical scientific basis for nanotechnology, emphasizing the relationship between atomic interactions and the structure of different types of nano aggregates. A number of characterisation methods are presented, including: Basic X-ray diffraction, wave-based microscopies (optical, electron), scanning probe microscopies (scanning tunnelling (STM) and atomic force (AFM) microscopies), and spectroscopy. Top-down approaches for preparing nanostructures will be presented. The course also demonstrates how the development of new instrumentation lays the grounds for nanotechnological applications, with perspectives on the future developments of the field.
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Discuss the scientific basis for nanotechnology.
- Relate the nanostructure of a material to its properties.
- Describe top-down approaches to the preparation of nanostructures.
- Identify and describe physical principles and practical aspects of selected techniques for characterizing the nanostructure of materials.
- On the basis of a material's properties and requirements with respect to resolution, magnification and chemical speciation.
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Compulsory attendance in laboratory exercises and in addition approved laboratory report for each laboratory exercise (3 out of 3).
Laboratory report must be approved at least 2 weeks in advance of the exam.
Compulsory assignments are valid in 1 subsequent semester.
Forms of Assessment
The form of assessment is: due to coronavirus situation: digital oral examination, 100% of total grade.
The grading scale used is A to F, where F is fail.
Regular exam each semester.
Administrative coordinator for nanotechnology.
Phone: + 47 55 58 34 46.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 15.06.2023, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Damsgårdsveien 125, DAM 2. etg.