Cardiac imaging in research
Language of instruction
UiB and NORHEART¿s course in Imaging in Cardiac Research is highly recommended for all PhD students involved in cardiac imaging projects; both to increase knowledge within own field of research and to expand the general understanding of imaging in cardiac research. The course will provide insight into state-of-the art possibilities offered by echocardiography CMR and cardiac CT for cardiac research. Participants will learn how to apply these imaging modalities for assessment of cardiac structure, function, infarction, hypertrophy and fibrosis.
PhD students will learn practical skills in planning, conducting and publishing of imaging studies from experts in imaging and publishing, both from Norway and abroad. Please se www.norheart.no for more information.
Upon completing this course, the candidate should:
- be in front on theoretic knowledge of non-invasive cardiac imaging methods in clinical and experimental research
- have expert knowledge on advantages and pitfalls associated with different imaging modalities in research
- be able to contribute to development of new knowledge, theories, methods and analyses within non-invasive cardiac imaging
- be able to describe, plan and conduct independent research using non-invasive cardiac imaging methods
- manage complex research questions and challenge established knowledge and praxis within cardiac imaging research
- be able to give and receive scientific critics on a high level
- be able to discuss and evaluate use of different types of non-invasive cardiac imaging for research
- communicate technical expertise and experience through presentation of own research
- analyse and discuss scientific methodological publications
March 5-7, 2019
Course registration and deadlines
Sign up via StudentWeb by 30th of January 2019.
Maximum number of participants is 15.
Read provided course literature.
Submit one page abstract from own research.
Recommended previous knowledge
The course is mainly intended for PhD students or medical research students involved in cardiac imaging. Some knowledge of cardiac imaging methods is advantageous.
Part of training component
PhD (non-compulsory course)
Form of assessment
Written multiple choice exam. Grading: Pass/Fail. >80% attendance is necessary to be allowed to take the exam.
Who may participate
The course is open for PhD students, medical research students and post docs with supervision responsibilities at UiB or members of NORHEART (Norwegian PhD School of Heart Research) that need competence in cardiac imaging.
Supplementary course information
The course will consist of lectures, group work and oral presentations given by the attendants. The course duration is 3 days (24 hours).
Course reading list consists of 120 pages state of the art literature on the imaging methods covered by the course.
Participants must submit an abstract (1 page) of their own project.
Participants must prepare an 8 minute oral abstract presentation of own research and of group work.
Lectures á 30 minutes
International lecture á 60 minutes
Group work and presentation of own research
Postdoctoral fellow Helga Midtbø PhD
Hjerteavdelingen, Haukeland Universitetssykehus
Professor Eva Gerdts, Department of Clinical Science, UiB
From University of Bergen, University of Oslo, University of Stavanger and NTNU
The syllabus will be covered by selected state of the art publications (about 120 pages) that will be forwarded to participants at least 4 weeks prior to course start.
Hotel Zander K, Zander Kaaes gate 7, 5015 Bergen