Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course gives knowledge about raw materials and food products, on their use in cookery and their influence on diet. The course is about food production in the household, commercial kitchen and in industry; processes in the food industry; nutrients in food and the finished product; hygiene and food safety; sensory and preservation methods; research and development in the food industry and legislation regulating production and promotion of food, declarations and labelling of food products and administration of these regulations.
- Describe the composition of nutrients in common food groups.
- Describe how food will be produced and presented for human consumption, according to company visits.
- Explain and evaluate the importance of food production with both traditional and modern technology, methods and their effect on nutrient content and product quality.
- Provide an overview of legislation in relation to food and food production, including laws regarding declaration / labelling, adding substances and genetically modified food.
- Use food computational applications (such as «Kostholdsplanleggeren»).
- Identify and present the content of specific amino acids, carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamin and mineral complex in the meal and different diet.
- Cooperate with fellow students in teamwork.
Required Previous Knowledge
NUTR-INF, BIOBAS and NUTR207 or equivalent
Forms of Assessment
4 hour written examination
Grading scale A-F
Written evaluation on Mitt UiB
Department of Clinical Medicine
firstname.lastname@example.org/ (+47) 55 97 43 70 / (+47) 55 58 25 35