Research Methods in Nutrition
Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The course provides an introduction to methods for assessing dietary intake, and methods used in experimental, clinical and epidemiological nutrition research.
After finishing the course, the students will have the following learning outcomes, defined as knowledge, skills and general competence:
Knowledge: The student..
- is capable of explaining basic elements of research ethics
- is capable of describing and evaluating the most important epidemiological research methods
- is capable of describing and evaluating the most important methods for dietary intake and nutritional status
- is capable of giving an overview of experimental and clinical research methods in the field of nutrition
- is capable of describing how dietary surveys are conducted at the population level and how the results can be used, with the focus on surveys in Norway
Skills: The student..
- is capable of conducting elementary statistical analyses of dietary intake data
- is capable of measuring nutritional status using anthropometry
Competence: The student..
- has the ability to write a scientific report
- has the ability to read and evaluate scientific literature independently
Required Previous Knowledge
Completion of courses in Methods of Analysis in Nutrition, Food Knowledge and Macro- and Micro Nutrients. NUTR120, NUTR150, and NUTR207 or equivalent.
Access to the Course
Admission to the bachelor's programme in human nutrition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
About 36 hours of lectures, a 4-hour seminar on critical reading, one-day datalab
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
The Department strives at continually improving their study programmes and welcome the feedback of students in the form of organized student evaluations. The evaluation results will be used to revise the study programmes, curriculum and teaching methods.
Department of Clinical Medicine
email@example.com/ (+47) 55 58 54 44 / (+47) 55 58 61 46
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 23.09.2022, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), SOL 3. etg.